Established in 2003, the Subcontractor Registration Scheme (SRS) was the first and only recognised registration scheme for subcontractors in Hong Kong. The SRS had successfully gathered a pool of experienced subcontractors with specialised skills over the past years. The establishment of the Registered Specialist Trade Contractors Scheme (RSTCS) in 2019 marked a significant milestone for the subcontractor management mechanism of Hong Kong.
The RSTCS uplifts and underpins the experience as well as professionalism of the registered specialist trade contractors of seven designated trades (demolition, reinforcement bar fixing, erection of concrete precast component, concreting formwork, concreting, scaffolding and curtain wall) through the comprehensive listing requirements in terms of safety, management, job experience, execution and finance. The RSTCS not only optimises the opportunities on further growth and development of subcontractors, but also makes significant contributions in elevating subcontractors to venture into new dimensions of development in the days to come.
While the registered specialist trade contractors enjoy a solid recognition through the RSTCS, subcontractors of other trade divisions shall continue to be registered subcontractors according to their job experience.
The RSTCS is well received by the Government, public organisations, developers, professional institutions and trade associations. By having the passionate support from the industry stakeholders, the RSTCS represents a significant step to make available a pool of competent and responsible specialist trade contractors for the benefit of the construction industry of Hong Kong at large.
Ir CHAN Chi-chiu
Chairperson, Committee on Registered Specialist Trade Contractors Scheme
- Enjoy enhanced recognition in pertinent trades by fulfilling the registration requirements and performance standard of the Scheme.
- Strengthen incentives for the best performance through establishment of registration echelon.
- Increase the visibility of the registered companies in tapping business opportunities by granting industry stakeholders’ access to the online Registers.
- Obtain the latest industry and the CIC news and updates to expand network and explore development opportunities.
- Provide a set of common competency standards for the subcontracting, assist enterprises to improve project management and foster their manpower development.
- Enhance overall standards of the industry and its professional image.
- Set up a user-friendly online Registers to streamlining tendering procedures and contracts formulation for main contractors.
- Provide an environment conducive to conducting business, to pool and nurture more talented Registered Specialist Trade Contractors and Subcontractors.
- Increase the added value, productivity and competitiveness of construction industry and seize the opportunities in Greater Bay Area development.
- Development Bureau
- Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Construction Association
- Hong Kong Housing Authority
- Hong Kong Housing Society
- MTR Corporation Limited
- Real Estate Developers Association of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Federation of Electrical and Mechanical Contractors
- Urban Renewal Authority
- West Kowloon Cultural District Authority